The elections in Burundi are coming up in just over a week. There has been major turmoil in the country. The following is from an email I just received from Frederic Harerimana, ECLEA-Burundi's national coordinator:
1. Pray for peace reestablishment in Burundi. Since the beginning of
demonstrations against the "third term" of president Nkurunziza, the
security of Burundians especially at Bujumbura has been threatened. In
addition, there is too much rumours which have prompted some people to
flee the country and are living in pathetic conditions in neighbouring
2. Pray for the refugees who are living in poor conditions in fear of
coming back to Burundi. Some ran away for their security, but a few may
have gone for other reasons (not verified though). The mixture of
motivations for fleeing complicate further the options of finding
acceptable living condition and of returning to Burundi.
3. Pray for the search for lasting solution in Burundi. Politicians have
failed quite a number of times to reach a consensus while trying to
negotiate a peace deal. Pray for humility and a new rebirth of a spirit
of peace in Burundi. Pray for the renewal of our minds so that
Burundians reject the rebellion spirit, we embrace a spirit of
tolerance, cohabitation, acceptance of one another, patience etc.
4. Pray for the church in Burundi so that we all work for peace.
Currently, the church, instead of playing its unifying role, she
contributes to the worsening of the situation with a few exceptions! The
church needs to authoritatively lead the nation to peace and stability.
5. Pray for the protection over our families. Pray for God's guidance in
taking the decision whether or not to stay in the country.